Welcome To Malabar FAQs Page

Question Mark Picture

"How do I apply for a building permit?" "How do I set up waste services as a resident in Malabar." Town staff has compiled a list of questions and answers that we receive daily from residents and contractors. Whether you are a resident or contractor, this comprehensive FAQ list has got you covered. Check it out, and see if we answered a question you have!

Getting to Know Your Town and its Elected Officials

Q: How do I know what my Town Council and Committees are doing?

A: The Town of Malabar’s website is the repository for all agendas and minutes for our Town Council and Boards. You can check the past minutes or look at the agenda for an upcoming meeting!

Follow this link to view the Town's minutes.

Q: How can I stay up to date on current events in Town?

A: There are two easy and effective ways to stay up to date on Town events. The first is to follow the Town of Facebook! The second is to subscribe for updates on the Town’s website. You can select to receive email updates on items such as agenda uploads, newsletter publishing, or news and announcements. 

Follow this link to view the Town’s Facebook page!

Follow this link to subscribe for email notifications from the Town’s website!

Q: How can I follow Town Meetings without attending in person at Town Hall?

A: Yes! The day after our Council, Board and Committee meetings, the audio for the meeting is uploaded to the Town’s free SoundCloud account. 

Follow this link to listen to past Town meetings!

Q: Where can I go to get outdoors in Malabar?

A: The Town of Malabar has several Parks, Preserves and Sanctuaries located in Town. The Town of Malabar owns and maintains Malabar Community Park, Malabar Disc Golf Sanctuary, the Cameron Preserve, the Sandhill Crane Trailhead, and Eschenberg Memorial Park. The Town is also in the process of developing an equestrian trailhead, Eagles Nest Trailhead, on South Marie Street. Brevard County owns and maintains the Malabar Scrub Sanctuary and the Jordan Scrub Sanctuary.

Follow this link for more information about the Parks and Recreation areas in Malabar!

Q: How can I get more involved in the Town of Malabar?

A: There are several ways someone can get more involved in the Town of Malabar! The easiest way would be to attend Town Meetings. If any of the Boards or Committees are of interest to you, you can apply for membership! Currently, the Board of Adjustment, Parks and Recreation Committee, Planning and Zoning Board, and the Trails and Greenways Committee all have vacant positions. Anyone who has been a Malabar resident for more than 6 months is encouraged to apply!

Follow this link to check the Town Calendar for upcoming meetings!

Follow this link to view the Town Boards and Committees!

Q: Do I need a Business Tax Receipt (BTR) to operate a home business in Malabar?

A: Yes, per Chapter 14, Article II of the Town Code, states: “No person shall engage in the activities for which a business tax receipt is required without first procuring a business tax receipt from the town, and, before issuance of such business tax receipt, paying the amount of the fee required for any business as provided herein.”

Follow this link to review the Town Code relating to BTRs!

Follow this link to apply for a BTR today!

How do I request Services or Assistance from the Town?

Q: Can I request my road be graded and filled?

A: Yes, you may call our office to submit a request at 321-727-7764 or submit your request on the Public Works page on our website using the Service Request Form.

Follow this link to create a Service Request Form!

Q: What is permitted on this parcel of land?

A: On the Helpful Links page on our website is a link to Malabar Municipal Code. This link will take you to our Town code so that you can easily search for information about zoning and land-use by district. If you have questions about what zoning your parcel is, you can go to the Building Department page and use the Malabar Zoning Maps to type in your address.

Follow this link to read about the Town of Malabar Zoning Codes!

Follow this link to use the Town of Malabar’s interactive Zoning Map!

Q: Who do I contact about animal concerns?

A: If you have an animal concern, please contact Brevard Animal Control at 321-633-2024, or visit their webpage here.

Q: How do I set up waste services as a resident in Malabar?

A: Waste Pro provides waste services for the Town of Malabar. Residents can request service and new bins on Waste Pro’s website at https://www.wasteprousa.com/malabar/. You can also request bulk pickups for debris and report missed pickups on their website.

Follow this link to learn more about the Town of Malabar’s Waste Service Contract!

Building and Permitting Questions

Q: How do I apply for a building permit?

A:  Go to the Building Department page on the Town of Malabar website and click on "To Apply or Pay for a building permit". Under the section “Building Permit Application” click on “Building Permit” and you can create your application from there.

Follow this link to complete your Building Permit today!

Q: What is the process for approval of a building permit and how long does it take?

A: Once the permit application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by our Building Official (Tuesdays & Thursdays). The state requires that we distribute permits within 30 days as long as we have all of the required documents, and the permit is paid for. If all the required documents from the applicant are submitted, it can take as little as 7 to 10 days to be approved.

Q. Can I park an RV on my property while my house is under construction?

A: Per Malabar Land Development Code Article V, Section 1-5.15. - Parking, storage, or use of major recreational equipment.

Mobile homes or other mobile equipment or structures used temporarily in connection with construction, used as a dwelling, office or sales room may be located temporarily in all districts only after the release of a building permit and during the period of construction activity, under a temporary zoning permit, provided however, said trailer must be removed within ten (10) days after completion of construction.

Follow this link to review the Town Code relating to the parking, storage, or use of major recreational equipment!

Q: How do I gain access to my property / improve the road to my property?

A: The property owner must submit a Road Improvement Application, and all required supporting documentation listed on the application, and improve the roadway in accordance with the Road Improvement Technical Provisions and Road Building Procedures and Regulations.

Follow this link to review the Road Improvement Codes and Applications!

Q: How do I request an inspection online?

A: Go to the Building Department page on the Town of Malabar website and click on "To Apply or Pay for a building permit". Once the page loads click on the magnifying glass and search for your permit. Once you have found your permit click on "Request an Inspection" and proceed to fill out the text boxes with the proper information. Please keep in mind that our inspectors are only available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Follow this link to search open and past building permits!

Q: Do I need a permit to replace an existing fence?

A: Yes, per Article V - Sec. 1-5.8. - Fences, walls and entranceways and related structures.

(g) Permit required for fence, wall, entranceway, and related structures. No fence, wall, entranceway or related structure shall be constructed, erected, replaced or altered between abutting parcels unless a permit therefore has been obtained from the Town by the owner of the property on which such fence or wall is to be located, or by some other person duly authorized by such owner. The application for such a permit shall be on a form provided by the Building Official and shall be accompanied by drawings showing the proposed location of and the specifications for the type of construction. The Building Official shall deny a permit if he believes the proposed structure creates a threat to health or safety. Unless requested otherwise by the applicant, denial of a permit shall create an automatic appeal to the Town Council after consideration and recommendation by the Planning and Zoning Board. Permits are not required for periodic repair and maintenance of an existing fence or wall.

Follow this link to complete your Building Permit today!

Q: Do I need a permit to replace the roof on an existing carport/shed?

A: Per Code of Ordinances Chapter 6, Sec. 6-4. - Modification of codes; permits required; applications; plans.

(b) Permits required: No building, structure, or component thereof regulated by the town shall be erected, moved, added to, or altered without a permit therefore, issued by the building official. No permit shall be issued except in conformity with the provisions of this chapter, except after a written order from the board of adjustment in the form of administrative review, special exception or variance as provided by this chapter.

The issuance of a permit based upon plans and specifications shall not prevent the building official from thereafter requiring the correction of errors in said plans and specifications or preventing the building operations being carried on there under when in violation of this chapter, or any town ordinance or applicable law enforced by the building official.

Follow this link to complete your Building Permit today!

Q: What is an Access Code and how do I get one?

A: The access code is prompted when you are interacting in specific ways in the online portal. Under the text box labeled "Access Code", click on the link to have it sent to the email that we have been provided on file.

Q: As a contractor, how do I register with the Town of Malabar and how much does it cost?

A: You can register with us by submitting a Building Permit. Fill out all the required fields in the building permit application with the contractor’s information. (Under Class of Work, choose CONT-Contractor Registration)  Fill out the Contractor Registration Form and upload it with the rest of the required paperwork (business tax receipt, general liability, workers comp and, business license). Once the application has been processed, you will be contacted for payment. The registration fee of $40 is a one-time payment. If there are any updates needed to be made or new/updated forms to be submitted, you can send them to the building department’s Permit Technician Lindsey Wilson at lwilson@townofmalabar.org.

Q: How do I upload documents for my permit after I have already submitted the permit application?

A:  Go to the Building Department page on the Town of Malabar website and click on "To Apply or Pay for a building permit". Once the page loads click on the magnifying glass and search for your permit. Click on “View” and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you can click the button “Choose Files” to add all the necessary files you want to add.

Follow this link to search open and past building permits!

Q: Can I check my inspection results online?

A: Yes! You can follow this link: https://malabarfl.portal.iworq.net/MALABAR/permits/600 to locate your permit. Once you've selected your permit, you can find the inspection results in the "Inspections" section, listed under the scheduled date of the inspection or next to the inspector's name to the right.



PDF icon welcome_to_malabar_faqs.pdf180.29 KB